Slow ppp w/Debian2.0 vs. Debian1.3.1

Using my old Debian 1.3.1, plog gives a consistent
50666 to 53333 connection rate and ifconfig never
registers any errors at these speeds.  Netscape
download speeds range from 4.8 to 5.5 Kbytes/sec,
sometimes a little more, somtimes less.

With Debian 2.0 however, even though the initial
connection is reported at the same high speeds,
the download speeds are significantly less
(2.0 - 3.5 Kbytes/sec) with many errors reported
in ifconfig.  An error is registered about every
100-120 packets.  The errors appear to occur
consistently on this schedule.

Is there a way to find out more about the packet
errors?

All the hardware is the same for each Debian version,
only the hard disk drive is swapped.  The modem is
a USR Sportster 56k and works flawlessly, with v1.3.1
at least.  As far as I can tell, my configurations
for ppp are the same between both versions with the
same ISP and the same phone access number.  The 1.3.1
box uses Netscape v4.05 and the v2.0 uses v4.07.
However, just retrieving files using ftp from an xterm
confirms the same download speed difference between
versions.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
--