Strange? error with slink ISDN

I am trying to get ISDN working on my new system. While I had a working
configuration on my old system, I am now stupified by an error while trying to
dial out, i.e. after "isdnctrl dial ippp0", I get

isdn_ppp_bind: Can't find usable ippp device
ippp0: Resource temporarily unavailable

I checked the FAQ, which addresses message #1, but only when starting ipppd. In
my case, ipppd starts fine.

Configuration: PII, Teles 16.3 ISA card, Adaptec 1502 ISA SCSI card, Vortex
soundcard, Realtek 8139 ethernet card. Kernel 2.0.35.

I see no interrupt conflicts: teles has 5, adaptec 10, vortex 11 and rtl8139 has 12.

The hisax driver is loaded by kerneld, conf.modules contains

alias ippp0 isdn
alias char-major 43 hisax
alias char-major 44 hisax
alias char-major 45 hisax

options hisax io=0x180 irq=5 type=3 protocol=2 id=line0

The hisax driver seems to load OK; the ipppd daemon starts OK; lsmod shows one
reference to the hisax module.

Up to this point, I am lost and open for any suggestion.

--

R. A. Hogendoorn                                       E-mail: hogend@nlr.nl
Informatics Division                                   Tel. +31-527-24-8367