Perl 5 screw up ?

Andrew Martin Adrian Cater writes:
 > I have the situation where I have Perl 5.005 on the system - apt won't
 > update packages properly and other things including netbase are flaky.

A symlink kluge is to do this:

	cd /usr/local/lib
	mv site_perl site_perl.SAVE
	ln -s /usr/lib/perl5 site_perl

Remember to undo that later when things are stable.

But I ended up reverting to an earlier version of Perl.  In fact, I
think Perl 5.005 is no longer available on Debian -- it got pushed
back to a later release.  Since I couldn't find a way to get dselect
or apt to do this, I did it using dpkg:

	Get perl-base_5.004.04-6.deb from
	http://ftp1.us.debian.org/debian/dists/slink/main/binary-i386/base/.

	Run "dpkg -i ..." on that.

	Do the same for perl_5.004.04-6.deb from
	http://ftp1.us.debian.org/debian/dists/slink/main/binary-i386/interpreters/

	Do the same for the perl-suid package.  And, I suppose, for
	any other perl-based packages that you have that have reverted
	to versions based on Perl 5.004.

The exact package-version numbers may be different now, but you get
the idea.

--
Fred Yankowski