Re: CDs

On 24-Oct-1998, D'jinnie <jinn@irony.org> wrote:
> I guess this is pretty offtopic but I thought I'd ask :) Having looked at
> pretty much all the debian cd vendors, and not being too happy with any
> of them, I half-considered getting some pressed and selling them just for
> the price of the pressing (about a $1 a cd) and shipping. Would there be
> any demand for that or is everybody happy with their CD supplier? I guess
> I'd have to figure out a way to take credit cards too...this is likely to
> be a headache :)

And any form of banking will have overheads that will drive your prices
up, then you will have to cover costs such as mastering, freight on the
pressed CDs, unpacking and posting.  Add some extra to cover the cost of
the unsold CDs (all the sudden 2.1 is released and you are stuck with
1000 unsold CDs).  Then pay yourself a minimum wage for taking orders,
trips to the post office, etc.

So before you start, you should add all these costs up and come up
with a reasonable price.  And then I think you will find that what
the vendors charge isn't that unreasonable, and you will have to outlay
a lot of your own cash to even be competitive.

This isn't meant to discourage you from doing it, but it just didn't
sound like you had really thought it all through if you think you can
sell for $1 each.

--
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.     - Benjamin Franklin

Tyson Dowd   <tyson@tyse.net>   http://tyse.net