Re: Hiding a linux computer

On Wed, Oct 14, 1998 at 05:41:44PM -0700, Jeremy Blonde wrote:
> However a few problems arise.  They are using dhcp, which I can work
> with (I get the ip address and can hit all the servers, etc.), but this
> also leaves a record in the dhcp ip address listing in this format:
> ipaddress     hostname      mac address
> The Linux machine shows up like this:
> X.X.X.X     (null)     XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
Try running dhcpcd with the "-h <hostname>" option (man dhcpcd for more
details)

> I'd like to not even use the dhcp server but I think that would mean I'd
> have to setup the Linux machine to be a DNS server wouldn't it?  I don't
> know what that would do to the rest of the machines on our network, I
> can't be messing them up or else I'll be in hot water.
You'd have to have a static IP/dns entry...just try to get DHCP to work,
it's the best way :)

Also try putting the following line in /etc/dhcp/config

HOSTNAME=foobar   # your hostname here

Worked for a friend of mine here at school...

Brian