Re: kernel compile

Hi,
>>"jinn" == D'jinnie  <jinn@irony.org> writes:

 jinn> I've managed to get a kernel compiled with make-kpkg, but I was wondering
 jinn> - with slackware, I usually compiled with make zlilo, so that a "fallback"
 jinn> kernel was made (it just copied the current vmlinuz to vmlinuz.old). How
 jinn> would I achieve that with Debian? I'm not a big fan of rescue floppies -
 jinn> and thought I'd check if there was an automatic way of doing it. Thanks!

	The kernel image packages that make-kpkg makes do exactly that
 -- they copy over the /vmlinuz link to /vmlinuz.old. I personally
 maintain another kernel in /vmlinuz.stable (which always has a known
 good kernel). So /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old are automatically the last
 two kernels make by make-kpkg that one installs.

	HTH

	manoj

__> ls -als /
total 106
 [SNIP]
   0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           19 Sep 23 10:58 vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.0.35
   0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           20 Sep 23 11:00 vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.1.111
   0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           19 Jul 27 12:49 vmlinuz.stable -> boot/vmlinuz-2.0.34
__> cat /etc/lilo.conf
boot = /dev/hda2
delay = 50                    # optional, for systems that boot very quickly
compact
vga=normal                    # force sane state
root = current                # use "current" setting
message = /etc/lilo.message
verbose = 3
prompt
timeout = 300
image = /vmlinuz
	label = 2
	root = /dev/hda2
        append = "mem=95M"
        read-only
image = /vmlinuz.old
	label = 3
	root = /dev/hda2
        append = "mem=95M"
        read-only
image = /vmlinuz.stable
	label = 4
	root = /dev/hda2
        append = "mem=95M"
        read-only
other = /dev/hda1
   table = /dev/hda
   label = 1

--
 To write good code is a worthy challenge, and a source of civilized
 delight. stolen and paraphrased from William Safire