Re: Issues in switching to Debian

In <[🔎] Pine.GSO.3.95q.981009131338.29478G-100000@jupiter>, on 10/09/98
   at 01:16 PM, " Raymond A. Ingles" <inglesra@frc.com> said:

[...]
> No, a boot-sector virus essentially runs under the BIOS. This *can*
>infect a Linux machine but I find it difficult to believe that Linux
>would still boot in such a circumstance.

A boot virus could spread during boot (i.e. infect other partitions and
floppies) while LILO load the kernel.  The virus would end as soon as the
kernel loads, and would be unable to mess with linux executables.  Linux
might still boot if the virus doesn't try to mess with the kernel being
loaded.

Helge Hafting