Re: newbie installing Xwin, and other stuff

Christopher Jay Stevenson wrote:

> > > Umm... *rubs back of head*
> > > I haven't been able to get dhcpcd working, which I need for using the
> > > computer on the network, so I can't use dselect... I need to download
> > > packages individually. (I think.)
> > >

> >       Now you've got me confused. :-)  If you can 'download packages
> > individually' (you are talking about ftp, right?) you can certainly use
> > dselect to do that for you.  In dselect, under the access option, you
> > can get dselect to install from a hard drive, cdrom, ftp across
> > internet, http across internet, etc, etc.
> >       If installing from a CD set ('mountable' in dselect access method), the
> > x stuff is certainly there.  If trying to install from the net, use the
> > 'ftp' access method of dselect.  The 'apt' access method is better, but
> > probably not on the CD set.  You need to download and install apt first,
> > then you'll see a new option, 'apt', under the access method screen in
> > dselect.
> >       Whatever access method you use (CD,FTP), once you get dselect working
> > things will get a lot easier.  With dselect, when you select the 'xbase'
> > package dselect/dpkg will automatically check dependencies and select
> > for install the other packages you'll need, except for the server
> > XF86_SVGA that you need for your video card.  Install the server last.
> >

> What I mean is that Linux can't use the LAN here (at Univ. of Nebr.
> Lincoln) but Win95 can, so I dl packages in Win95, reboot to Linux, mount
> the Win95 partition (I've finally automated that) and then use dpkg -i to
> install it.
>
> ---starfox
>
> Chris Stevenson

	OK, here is some info from ftp.us.debian.org:

	ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/slink/main/binary-i386/x11/

xlib6g
xbase :        depends on cpp, ncurses-base, zlib1g, libc6, ncurses3.4,
xlib6g
xfntbase
xserver-svga

	If you install these in order, I believe you'll have (or be very close
to) an x11 setup.  If you are running a hamm system you may want to get
these packages from the hamm subdir:

	ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/hamm/hamm/binary-i386/x11/

--
Ed C.