Modem won't dial

I just replaced my USR Sportster 28.8 with a 3Com USR V.90 56K.
I set the jumpers to the same settings as my old modem before
installation (COM1 IRQ4).

I changed the speed from 38400 to 57600 in /etc/ppp/peers/provider,
which was the only change I made in any of my previously working
chatscripts.

I can still start a ppp connection manually with minicom, but when I
use the pon command the modem picks up the line and I hear dial tone,
but it will not dial the number.  It will just sit there and let me
hear dial tone until the telco times out.

I tried changing the speed back to 38400, but that had no effect.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thank you,
David Densmore <dden@rollanet.org>