Re: large incoming ftp transfers crash computer

I have had similar problems using the new DMA/33 drives. It seems that
there is at least one minor bug in that the DMA/33 spec uses a status bit
that used to mean "drive not ready" to mean something else. Which kernel
version are you using? I had this problem at least up to 2.0.33. All of my
systems with a newer kernel than that are SCSI. One system was
particularly bad about this. I had to move the DMA/33 drive to the second
IDS bus all by itself for it to behave. I got EXACTLY the same errors that
you are reporting. I got them as soon as I installed the DMA/33 drive.

I suppose the moral of the story is, if you are going to use a DMA/33
drive, use it in DMA/33 mode with a DMA/33 controller that is supported by
Linux. (I know there is a Promise controller that is supported in the
latest 2.0 kernels.)