Re: newbie installing Xwin, and other stuff

Christopher Jay Stevenson wrote:

> I need some hand holding here.
> My computer uses an STB Velocity 128 video card.
>
> What do I need to do to install Xwindows.

	In dselect first select the xbase-xxx package in the X section.
dselect will then automatically select the other needed packages.  You
might optionally select some additional font packages (there are several
in addition to the required one).  Then you need to install an xserver
for your video card.  I don't know what this might be (probably the SVGA
server), so take a look at the files in /usr/doc/X11 to see if they
mention your card.

> Also, I've never been root on a system before, so
> How do I mount another partition (as vfat) automatically
> on startup?

Example:  /dev/hda1 /dosc  vfat  defaults,umask=002,uid=0,gid=35  0  0

	/dev/hda1 = Win95 on primary partition of master drive.  The options
",umask=002,uid=0,gid=35" allow a normal user in the 'dos' group
read/write access.  They are optional.
	Definitely read 'man fstab' for help.

--
Ed C.