Re: Off Topic: Samba

On Fri, Oct 02, 1998 at 04:28:09PM -0400, dpk wrote:
> I have searched the Debian and Samba website for answers, as well as
> /usr/doc, and newsgroups for a resolution.
>
> I would like to use encrypted passwords, but not have to maintain a
> samba password file as well as /etc/passwd.  Is it possible to do this
> with Debian/samba?  If so, could someone point me in the right
> direction of sites and solutions I should research?

I do not believe this is currently possible.  Unix passwords are one type
of one-way hash, and Samba passwords are another.  It might be possible
someday when Debian supports PAM.

I guess a workaround would be a front-end passwd program that changes both
passwords.  I don't know if one exists.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,

Jeff