Re: Adaptec AIC-7890 SCSI under Debian?

Blazej Sawionek <B.Sawionek@elka.pw.edu.pl> writes:
| I was skimming through the messegas from the last few days and I haven't
| noticed any answers so I'm answering (even though it is rather late).
|
| >         I've been trying to install Debian on a P-II, with a ASUS P2B-LS
| > Motherboard, and a Adaptec AIC-7890 Ultra2 SCSI chipset.
|
| Matthias Klose wrote:
| > have a look at http://swt.cs.tu-berlin.de/~doko/aic7xxx/ for Debian boot
| > disks that support the 7890.
|
| I took them, and my P2B-DS works pretty well (one day I will buy the
| second CPU and will have to recompile the kernel - this will be a
| problem, but for now - it's great)!

It won't be a problem. By then the changes that are in the boot disks
you downloaded will be built in to the kernel (probably 2.0.36),
unless you're going to get that second processor in less than a
month. That's just an estimate, but the developer of the Adaptec 7xxx
driver just announced on the kernel mailing list his intentions on
making the current beta golden (you're using the current beta with
that set of boot disks you downloaded). Even now, if you wanted to,
you could build your own kernel by downloading the 2.0.35 kernel
source and applying the current beta patch found at

ftp://ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx/5.1.0-pre-patches/aic7xxx-5.1.0-pre15-2.0.35.patch.gz

I do it every time Doug comes out with a new patch. Of course I don't
use the Debian kernel source package. I download raw kernel source and
apply the adaptec patch manually, then use make-kpkg to build my own
Debian kernel package. Works great!

Gary