Re: printer setup for hp laserjet 6L

> My printing system consists of a HP LJ6L, ghostscript 4.03, lprng,
> and magcfilter. I used magicfilterconfig to set up /etc/printcap
> to look like:
>
> lp|lp|lp|HP Laserjet 6L:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :sh:pw#80:pl#72:px#1440:mx#0:\
>         :if=/etc/magicfilter/ljet4-filter:\
>         :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:
>
> and this setup works very well. If you need to change the printers
> settings (economode, toner density etc), there are no tools to do
> it directly in linux afaik, but you can use the "PJL Configuration
> Wizard" at http://www.hp.com/cpso-support/generic/pcl/pjlwiz.html
> In the resulting code you get there, you must change the [Esc]'s to
> the escape character, which you can produce in e.g emacs with C-q C-[
> or in vi with C-v C-[. then you can cat the code to the printer device
> (cat printer_control_code_file > /dev/lp0).

I use the same filter for my Kyocera FS-600. I spent a couple of days, on and off,
trying to find how to change the printer settings, until I discovered that you can
simply put the relevant codes into the text you are printing. E.g. if I want to use
a particular resident font (say Font 2), I just put:

			!R! FONT 2; EXIT;

at the head of the text. After finishing the text the printer seems to revert to the
default settings but this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.0
acampbell@achc.demon.co.uk  http://www.achc.demon.co.uk