Re: "Can't load default font 'fixed'"

Did you install the xfstt true-type font server?  I did, and I get
this same message when trying to start X.  I think the install
script has a glitch or something.  Anyway, after booting up you
can start the font server manually from the init.d directory.
Then you should be able to startx.

Maybe there's someone else reading this who could tell us both how
to fix this properly.

HTH,

Curt Daugaard
cld@mcs.net