Re: printer advice

haphazard@socketis.net (Greg Norris) writes:

> As near as I can tell it's not a winprinter, and it's print-language is
> "Enhanced HP PCL 5" (which I believe is a superset of postscript, but
> might well be mistaken on that point).

No; it's a superset of HP's PCL (Printer Control Language) - a
proprietary HP language. (PCL is kind of interesting; it reminds me
of the good old days of sending escape codes to my parent's first
dot-matrix printer, and yet one can do vector graphics with it)

But that's ok; ghostscript can convert postscript into the PCL that
was used on HP LaserJet 4's, so a simple little filter in
/etc/printcap will take care of being able to print postscript.  (or
you could just take care of things by installing magicfilter which
ends up moving everything through ghostscript)