Re: HELP! Seriously messed up bo -> hamm

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Michael Stutz wrote:

> So now, every time I run apt, I get this error:
>
> Updating package status cache...done
> Checking system integrity...dependency error
> You might want to run apt-get -f install' to correct these.
> Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have unmet
> dependencies:
>   wget: Depends:libc6
>   libg++27-dev: Depends:libc5-dev
>   libgdbm1-dev: Depends:libc5-dev
>
> Running dselect doesn't help, either. dpkg is broken -- every time I run it
> I get something like:

apt is telling you that there is a problem with some packages.  apt is just
asking for a little help - you have to manually clear the problem before it
is able to continue.

> I really need help -- what should I do?

try doing what apt suggests. run "apt-get -f install".

if that fails, then read on:

it looks like your system is only partially upgraded from libc5 to libc6.
try removing libg++27-dev and libgdbm1-dev with "dpkg -r".  then you should
be able to install wget, either install it with dpkg or with apt ("apt-get
install wget").

if that works, you should now be able to do a dselect upgrade.

craig

--
craig sanders