a basic kernel

Dear fellow users!

I am a newbie, but a week ago enthusiacstically compiled my
first kernel.
that's amazing. the thing is, it's a process so complex that
I fear to touch the makefiles
or play with them.
I wanted to ask, whether somebody can recommend me an old
kernel
that have some basic capabilities, but is not too large.
(I reognize the fact that compiling a kernel of an OS
shouldn't be for newbies, and
Linux has powerful and as much simple as posible tools to do
so. )

so, I basicallly have:
AMD k6 200MHZ,
32 meg ram,
6.4meg HD with 900M unpartitioned space for experimenting...

I guees I can build&use that kernel on the same EXT2
partition as my regular kernel is,
but I need a kernel with EXT2 support, and I heard that the
earliest ones used minix fs.
a URL with old debian distributions (0.9.., 1.1..) will be
helpful, so that I can install some tools for playing
around.

thanks in advance, guys!

begin:          vcard
fn:             Alexander Gutfraind
n:              Gutfraind;Alexander
org:             www.tht.net/~gutfrnd/
email;internet: gutfrnd@tht.net
note:           I have nothing to say, and I'm saying it.
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard