Re: debian-user-digest Digest V98 #947

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 13, 1998 at 12:37:37PM +0200, Wojciech Zabolotny wrote:
>> Does anybody knows about any free Smalltalk for Linux (preferrably
>> as Debian package :-) )?
>
>ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gst115.tgz

GNU smalltalk isn't very good.  The best free smalltalk interpreter I know
of right now is apple research lab's "squeak".  Here's the info:

http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/

I really like smalltalk a lot.  For those of you who haven't tried it, it
is NOT just an educational langauge as is the popular conception.  It is
very powerful and very elegant.  Small GUI programs go together very
quickly.

I would be interested in making a debian package of squeak, i believe the
license would allow it to go into the main distribution.  Unfortunately I
don't know very muych about dpkg (nor is it well documented) nor do I know
anything about becomming a debian developer.  (My last attempt to
contribute was completely ignored).

Barry J. Bocaner
<barry@gslink.com>