Installation troubles

I decided to re-install Debian 2.0 today from scratch, because I wanted
to re-partition my hardisk. I have the official Debian CD and using that
I repartitioned my disk so that it now has 4 linux partitions - 1 large
root partition (primary), two smaller logical ones (for /home and /etc)
and a swap partition. I contiued with the installation and as usual once
the base system was installed I rebooted my machine (with the boot
floppy in the drive). The kernel was booted, and I say all the usual
messages until  I saw something along the lines of :

INIT : no inittab
INIT : no default runlevel

Please enter runlevel :

At this prompt I entered 2, and then I got back :

No more processes left at this runlevel

At this point I had to switch the machine off - ctrl-alt-del had no
effect.

Would this have anything to do with the fact that /etc is in a logical
partition?

Any help appreciated

Brian Sheehan

P.s. I installed several machines using the same CD, so it's definitely
OK