BASIC HELP

I am a NEW.  I have successfully installed Debian 2.0 from CD on my computer with Win 98.  I have a 1,900 Mb Linux Native and 190 Mb Linux Swap.  I am the only user on it; there is no connected network.

I log on and get the '$' prompt and except for a few things like vi and emacs I can do nothing.  For example, I answered the queries for smail yet from root or /usr/bin/ I get the error message saying bad command when I enter 'smail'  I even can list smail, see it listed and get the same error message when enter smail.  I list RXW permission I ls -l

I have 4 Linux books and none of them say what I should do once I get the $ prompt!  Mounting a filesystem didn't seem to help but I may not have done that right.  There is something VERY basic I am missing, the books don't mention it.

Please tell me what to do, or where to go to find basic tutorial help.

Bob Barth
e-mail:  olympic@netamerica.com