Re: Audio

On Tue, Sep 08, 1998 at 06:15:40PM +1200, Michael Beattie wrote:
> On 7 Sep 1998, Jens Ritter wrote:
>
> > Michael Beattie <mickyb@es.co.nz> writes:
> >
> > > I was going through my .wav file collection, and after a while (250 odd
> > > playings) bplay died reporting there was "no room left on device". I tried
> > > starting quake after this... segfault, like I predicted. DMA allocation
> > > failed. I am nowhere near a sound guru, but this does not seem right, I
> > > mean quake plays many sounds, a lot together, or in succession. More than
> > > 250 anyway. Is this a problem with bplay? If not, how can it be cured?
> > > Playing mp3's still worked, and some other things did not. Has anybody
> > > stumbled across this before? I am sorry, I can't supply more information,
> > > I was silly and rebooted to fix the problem, hence losing the actual error
> > > messages.
> >
> > While running bplay, what does a "watch df" in another window show?
>
> no change.

  The same problems happens to me too. Is occures when my machine is low on
  physical memory and there seems to be not enough room to allocate the DMA
  buffer. When you start some big programs (memory consumption) like netscape
  and terminate them, does that solve it?? It does to me. Error displayed in
  /var/log/messages is something like "can't allocate DMA buffer" and looks to
  programs like "can't open device /dev/dsp". If so, please post again.

  Bart

--
B. Warmerdam                                              GNU/Debian Linux
bartw@xs4all.nl, bartw@debian.org (Keyid: 10A0FDD1)       ----------------