X is hosed

I stuck my neck out and upgraded X11 to the packages in slink.  Just
previous to that I had upgraded wmaker to 0.19.1-1, also new on slink.
At first, wmaker crashed the session.  I purged wmaker.

Now, for some reason I cannot fathom, xdm starts but when a user logs
in, the session crashes.  Root can log in ok.  Root can use startx,
but a user cannot.

Looks like permissions.  Permissions of WHAT?

I now downgraded back to the X11 packages in hamm, but the same
problem persists.

I still don't understand what wmaker did.  I upgraded the libraries,
and installed wmaker libs too.  That's one of the last things I did
before this happened.

Thank you for any help.

Alan Davis