RE: pcmcia driver problem

I ran into the exact same problem. Here's the solution I found:

1. Make sure you install *both* the pcmcia-cs and the pcmcia-modules of the
same version and of the same version as your kernel (Note if you are installing
these via a pcmcia card connection, copy them locally to your harddrive first,
as installation requires shutting down the pcmcia subsystem !).

BUG: when installing the version 3.0.4 of pcmcia, the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts
file gets overwritten with a blank entry, and no conversion from the previous
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts is run. Luckily, the old, correct file is saved in
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts.dpkg-old. I *think* you can get away with overwriting
the network.opts file with the old one. To be safe, edit the newer network.opts
file, filling in the same entries from the network.opts.dpkg-old (the formats
are very similar).

Here's another, more subtle BUG:
If you compiled your own version of the stable kernel (say 2.0.34) via kpkg,
dpkg consistently wants to re-install the oribinal 2.0.34 binaries if you
install the newer 3.0.4 pcmcia stuff. I have to override this stuff, when dpkg
should be smart enough to know that a 2.0.34 based kernel is still being used.