Re: 3 com(USR) modem

There is a set of jumpers on the front of this card to set com port
and irq, and a diagram on the back of the card showing how to use the
jumpers.  com1 corresponds to /dev/ttyS0 in Linux, and this usually uses
irq 4.  com2 coresponds to /dev/ttyS1 in Linux, and this usually uses
irq 3.  Unless you are using a ps2 mouse, your mouse is probably set up
to use one of these, so you will want to use the other for your modem.

If you are running the machine dual boot with a MS operating system, you
may want to boot to MS and find out what com port the modem is using there.

The modem comes from the factory jumpered for plug and play.  You can
make it work that way under Linux, but you will need the isapnptools
package.  Things will be much easier under Linux if you just hard jumper
it to a com port.

You will need ppp, net_std, and net_base packages.  I think ppp is now
ppp_pam or something.  You will need to set up your ppp options and
your chat script.  I think there is now a package that automates this task,
but I cant remember what it is called.

I hope this answers at least some of your questions.

Mike