static IP on PPP to non-ISP

It's occurred to me that some of my problems with ppp may be that it's
not an ISP on the other end.  I didn't bring the laptop in today, but I
don't think  i configured the network info on the laptop any
differently (save for IP #) than my desktop, which is probably wrong.

I have a second IP on this subnet, which the laptop fancies itself to
be.  But what should I be doing to tell it that all network traffic must
go through the other machine (to which it is connected)?  Do I tell it
that that machine is it's router?  Do I have to tell the other machine
anything so that it knows to get & pass traffic?

And would failing to do so produce the result (on the desktop):

Aug 27 01:32:29 eyry pppd[2280]: pppd 2.3.5 started by hawkppp, uid 1005
Aug 27 01:32:29 eyry pppd[2280]: Using interface ppp0
Aug 27 01:32:29 eyry pppd[2280]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyp1
Aug 27 01:32:35 eyry pppd[2280]: PAP authentication failure for hawkppp
Aug 27 01:32:35 eyry pppd[2280]: Connection terminated.
Aug 27 01:32:36 eyry pppd[2280]: Exit.

The username & password were correct; the laptop printed what it was
typeing (the same as it had already logged in as).

rick, thoroughly confused

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.