Re: getting fqdn from gethostname on a hamm box

Martin Schulze wrote (Wed, 26 Aug 1998 02:12:58 +0200 ):

|>This doesn't work on Solaris?  Why, you should tell us why it fails.

ok, i've found one case where neither gethostname() nor the method
Joey descibed worked in getting the fqdn.  on that particular machine,
i found that the h_name field still had the simple name, but that
h_aliases[0] contained the fqdn.  so, it's in there somewhere, it's
just not always in the h_name field of the struct hostent.

now my question is this:  how does one tell how many aliases are in
the h_aliases vector?  do i just keep examining the elements of the
vector until one of them is null?

thanks everyone...

-alan