Re: Sending via SMAIL from dialup connection and private network

Jay Barbee wrote:
> [Second Time Posted, I thought the Subject was not very informative]
>
> I recently upgraded several of my Bo systems to Hamm.  All went fine.  I
> am currently struggling with some of the minor changes that the new
> packages have.
>
> My home system is setup on a dummy network (192.168.xxx.xxx), and I do
> typically email myself at my work Debian box which is on the net with a
> legit IP address.  Now (after the hamm upgrade, I assume) I cannot send
> mail, and port 25 will not open if I telnet in from home.

What's the behaviour?

a) telnet to the port, no connection.
   --> no smtp daemon connected to it
       --> check /etc/inetd.conf

b) telnet to the port, connection, but aborted
   --> check syslog, smail logfile
       --> check smail configuration.

c) telnet to the port, connection, mail not accepted
   --> check smail config allow_remote_*

> So I assume Smail does this, and I would like to know how I can setup my
> home system to send mail to not just my work box, but other legit domains

You have to find out which program is responsible for it inetd, tcpd or smail?

Regards,

	Joey

--
A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.