Re: Was the release of Debian 2.0 put on Linux Announce?

> makes sense...the more upstream developers, the more exposure debian gets
> lets face it...when you look around and see "Linux Software" the
> first name you see is RedHat and the first package format (not
> counting tarball) is RPM...
> And thats the kind of stuff that gives them real presense

        I've been following this discussion and as such I decided to add my own
experience to it.

        Last year i got my Computer Science degree. In the Univ. we used linux
(i think it was slackware). I used to say to my linux fanatic friends "linux
sucks! Windows is good!". I once had to install linux on my girlfriends
computer and i installed red hat. THe installation went ok for a windows
fanatic like me. To end the degree i had to make a large project. One of the
requesites that i was given was that i had to work with linux ("Oh no!" i
thought). During the first times i had lots and lots of hard fights with debian
and if it wasn't for this list i don't know what i would have done.

        What does all this means. It means that IMHO the natural path for the
usesr is windows (until they get tyred of all the reboot's and start looking
elsewhere), then they find linux (and they with red-hat, Suse or Caldera, but
more red-hat) then they start to see the shortcomings (i for instance removed
some packages that i didn't need in my girlfriend's pc just to find out that
the whole system was lost! Didn't even  reboot)! And this is when they start
looking for sothing else and come to debian! Of course some people"die" during
the walk (windows fanatics and rh fanatics) but some survive to see the light.

        See y'a

P.S : btw windows sucks. Debian is good!

        Mario Filipe
        mjnf@uevora.pt
----->  http://neptuno.sc.uevora.pt/~mjnf | Agora bilingue (PT e EN)
----->                                      Now bilingual (PT and EN)