Debian at work

I think I scored a nice one for Debian at work today. I am a member of a
development team building a new product for our company. While most of our
product works on commercial *nix platforms, we were able to reach a
consensus that Linux should be our development platform for a key portion
of the project and that Debian would be our distribution of choice. Debian
was chosen after one of the other developers ran into problems with Red
Hat. Debian was able to perform right out of its default configuration.

What finally swung the deal was when we were able to have debian installed
and running in about 30 minutes on the target hardware. The Netscape
installer was also a major plus as an example of how installer scripts
can be built. I will bet the other guy is lurking here
so I will not gloat too much but I *>DID<* tell you so! :-)

Debian's ability for remote installaion and upgrade without needing X,
without needing access to the console or CD-ROM, and without having to
manually FTP a load of packages along with its dependancy checking at
package selection time made the difference.

Though I might always have suggestions or complaints, I mean to state them
in a constructive sense. If I differ with the developers in some areas, I
hope it is taken as it is ment, as a member of the community trying to
provide feedback.

I want to thank all of the developers for making 2.0 such a solid release.
It was a big job to convert to libc6 yet not break people's existing
private libc5 development work.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. For a job well done.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!