Re: No Backspace in X

Hamish Moffatt said
> On Sun, Aug 09, 1998 at 11:48:28AM +0200, jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 07, 1998 at 10:40:22PM -0500, Matthew Myers wrote:
> > [backspace problem in X]
> > > Here is my setup:
> > >
> > > Debian 1.3.1
> >
> > Please consider upgrading to Debian 2.0 . In 2.0, consistent handling of
> > backspace and delete under X has been implemented.
>
> I just installed Debian 2.0 on my Toshiba notebook on Friday,
> and backspace doesn't work in xterm! Perhaps it is just the keyboard
> on the thing [I chose standard 102 key keyboard in the setup];
> I have to use C-h though. Suggestions?

I had this same problem, even after upgrading to 2.0.
However, I was able to get it to work.  I don't remember *exactly* what
I had to change, but I *do* remember which parts of what files needed
review.  Check /etc/inputrc and /etc/X11/Xresources:

# /etc/inputrc - global inputrc for libreadline
# See readline(3readline) and `info readline' for more information.
#
[...]
#
# Make the Home, End, and Delete keys work on common terminals.
$if term=linux
"\e[1~": beginning-of-line
"\e[3~": delete-char
"\e[4~": end-of-line
$endif
$if term=rxvt
"\e[1~": beginning-of-line
"\e[3~": delete-char
"\e[4~": end-of-line
$endif
$if term=xterm
"\e[1~": beginning-of-line
"\e[3~": delete-char
"\e[4~": end-of-line
$endif

! /etc/X11/Xresources
!
! global Xresources file -- used by both xdm and xinit (startx)
[...]
! Make the backspace key generate ^? instead of ^H, per Debian keyboard
! policy.
*VT100*backarrowKey: false
!
! Make the delete key generate ^[[3~ instead of ^?, per Debian keyboard
! policy; this also makes the Home and End keys produce the same character
! sequences as they do in the virtual console.
*VT100.Translations: #override <Key>Delete: string("\033[3~")\n\
                               <Key>Home: string("\033[1~")\n\
                               <Key>End: string("\033[4~")

! The function keys still need to be dealt with.