Re: your mail

Hi Derek
	I just installed Debian myself and the command to start the
connection is pon.If you named the connection the command is pon name. I
used dselect to download the packages i wanted (45mb) by changing the
access method to FTP. When you are in this menu there was options to get
the packages from a harddrive I think, but I think dselect will also want
the directory structure and be able to find the packages.gz file in a
directory called binary-i386.
	I had problems downloading from FTP, but this was because I did
not read the questions carefullly. The first question is to choose the FTP
site.(simple enough) The second question is to use passive mode and I put
in y. The next one is user name, put in anonymous. The next one was
password, i put in root@mymachinename.(root@eire) The next one was where I
went wrong. The question was to enter the Debian directory and I being
Irish entered yes. Of course this was wrong and what it was asking me was
to enter the path to to Debian directory from / on the FTP machine. In my
case this was pub/debian. The next question was about FTP proxy, i
answered n. The next one enter the distributions to get. For this one I
entered dists/stable/main/ but do not enter binary-i386 because dselect
looks for this itself. After this dselect downloads the packages.gz file
and puts you back at the menu and you can pick out the packages you wnat
then. Then install what you wanted and dselect will clean up after itself.
Hope all goes well for you
	John