Re: apt?

Robert Rati wrote:

> I've heard of apt, but am not sure what it is.  I thought it was supposed
> to be the new graphical package manager for Debian and was going to be
> released in 2.0, but I can't seem to find a package for it?  Is it to be
> released in 2.1 or am I just looking in the wrong place?  What advantages
> does apt have over dselect?

	Yes, apt will eventually replace dselect, and have a GUI (I believe it
is meant to be runnable in both console and X), but right now it is a
command-line-only tool.  However they have also developed an apt 'access
method' for dselect (the first item on dselect's menu), so dselect can
call apt to take care of package installing (apt is 'smarter' than
dselect about installing things).  As others have said, apt is in slink
now.  Using apt is preferred, either as a command line tool, or as a
access method in dselect.

--
Ed