Re: Strange thing ...

On Wed, Aug 05, 1998 at 12:25:21PM +0200, Daniel Mashao wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Mario Filipe wrote:
>

> > On 05-Aug-98 Daniel Mashao wrote:
> > > I had the same problem until I was told I needed to upgrade the perl
> > > library to the newer one in bo/unstable. That solved my problem.
> >
> >         Yes! But do you know where to get these packages nowadays! In other
> > words does anyone know of a bo packages archive!
> >
> >         I think Ana will appreciate that!
> I think this may be a problem that all Debian users need to deal with. The
> fact that old files that may be needed to upgrade are no where to be found
> stinks. In this case even if one had a CD one would not be able to upgrade
> as the required perl (Why not use Python? at least it doesn't change too
> much between minor versions as perl seems to do.) was never part of the
> stable distributions.
>
> Here is another suggestion: Remove all the ftp links in
> /etc/apt/sources.list file as they are the ones that need perl and use the
> http ones only.

that should definitly work...http works better anyway

> Another suggestion is try the upgrading by hand. The sinstructions are on
> the http://www.gate.net/~storm/FAQ/libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO.html

I would recommend against this...instead use autoup.sh
(dunno where to get it these days)
I have used autoup sucessfully many times...hasn't failed on me yet.
-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"