Re: Was the release of Debian 2.0 put on Linux Announce?

>> "GB" == George Bonser <grep@shorelink.com> writes:

GB> Debian is, quite frankly, too small to dictate to the rest of the linux
GB> community how things should be done. On the other hand, it is too good for
GB> the other distributions to ignore.I think they all secretly desire to be
GB> as well integrated as Debian and in that respect they have to listen when
GB> Debian makes suggestions.

Someone said (in -devel, IIRC), that Debian won't get more weight by
having more "users", but by attracting more upstream developers.

And there is something about this.

OTOH, three friends of mine wanted to try Linux. I gave them Debian
and saw, that it *is* too complicated for the average Windoze user to
set up. X setup is a pain in the ass and we know it. Still one of them
wants to learn it, and I believe he will be satisfied with Debian. The
others will get it as well (I hope).

Debian is technically superior and I am proud about this. One of my
friends had installed SUSE. I checked the thing out. Inconsitency all
over the place. A pain to manage over a dialup/telnet connection (I
will have to help him with the box, so I need good access). I dropped
it.

Ciao,
	Martin