Re: Market Debian? (was Re: Was the release of Debian 2.0 put on Linux Announce?)

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, George R wrote:

> Figured I'd at least try and make the subject close to topic.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong (and someone will), but one of the reasons I
> thought Debian to be technically superior to RH and co was the ability
> to use RPMs in addition to deb packages.  IOW, it can use any package RH
> can; just install alien then the package.
>

> George

To some extent this is true but there are often locations that are coded
into the applications at compile time that are used at run time. A poor
example being Taylor UUCP. You configure it to look in a certain loaction
for its config files when you compile it. If you then make a package of it
with non-standard locations, the binary will look in these non-standard
locations every time it is run. Even if you run it Red Hat's UUCP package
through alien, it will continue to look in /usr/lib/uucp for its configs
rather than the proper /etc/uucp directory. The bad thing is that it ( the
Red Hat package) does not even create the /usr/lib/uucp directory or make
any skeleton config files so the first time you run it, it will crash and
you will not even know why until you run strace on it.

George Bonser

Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?