Re: Tape Drive Suggestions Under Debian

*- Jason Michaelson wrote about "Tape Drive Suggestions Under Debian"
| I'm looking to purchase a new tape backup drive. I'm looking for
| something fairly large (8-10GB or more), in addition to fast (i.e.
| it can't be a floppy or a parallel port connected device). Of
| course, it also needs to work under Debian. I can't afford to get a
| SCSI drive, as I also have no SCSI controller. I was looking at
| the Iomega 10GB Ditto Pro, but can't find anything that says it is
| supported.

Your choices are limited then without SCSI. Don't let the lack of a SCSI
controller stop you from getting a SCSI tape drive. You see ANY SCSI tape
device will be supported by Linux. Just make sure the controller is
supported, http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO-8.html#ss8.1.
SCSI tape drives only use the bandwidth of maybe SCSI-2, IIRC, and are
fast. I purchased a Tekram DC390 SCSI-2 controller for about $45 when I
purchased my Seagate 4G/8G Tapestore. If in the future you might want to
connect faster SCSI devices to the controller you will have to go with a
faster controller however.

--
Brian
"Never critize anybody until you have walked a mile in their shoes,