Re: School Proof-of-concept network

Hi,
	As you have surmised, this is entirely a doable task. I have,
 (and I suspect any number of people on this list do too) a setup
 similar to what you envisage; however, I am not sure of the cost of
 the required hardware.

	On the hardware side, you shall need
 a) a Linux box, with a custom kernel which includes firewall and
    ipmasq capabilities (I can send you the .config file that I use to
    build kernels for my machine that you can use to help getting
    started). I think one can get old 486's for around $500, all
    included, but I may well be out of date.
 b) An ethernet hub, 8 ports (I think 10Mbs is quite good
    enough). Cost? I think around $300-400, tops
 c) a network card for all the machines you need to connect. You ccan
    get ethernet cards startin at $20; I looked at the hradware
    compatibility howto and settled for a dec tulip card (I needed
    10/100 cards).
 d) Some cable (I went category 5 cable, since it did not seem worth
    it to skimp on cabling).

	On the software side, I just got the ipmasq package, and
 created a ipmasq file (which I can also send over as a reference). I
 run a caching bind server, which helps a lot, and I have created an
 internal 192.168.1.0 network. Add diald/ppp to the gateway, and you are
 all set.

	The setup works flawlessly; the laptop can use the modem
 (autodialing as needed), and use samba to access the printer on the
 Linux box.

	Feel free to email me questions

	manoj
--
 "If you give me six lines written by the most honest man, I will find
 something in them to hang him." Cardinal de Richelieu