Re: PPP Server Package?

*- Martin Bialasinski wrote about "Re: PPP Server Package?"

| YE> Something similarly cool would be if I could set it up to listen for a
| YE> particular ring pattern (a "one ringer") that signals it to ppp into my isp
| YE> and then email me the IP address it has been issued. Then I could telnet to
| YE> it or run it as a web server, etc. I'm sure this has been done before.
|
| There is a programm which does something similar (forgot the name -
| ringd or such). There is no debian package AFAIK. Check
| www.freshmeat.net or www.linuxnow.com about it.

There is Debian package:

Package: xringd
Section: comm
Installed-Size: 43
Maintainer: David Engel <david@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.20-1
Depends: libc6
Filename: dists/stable/main/binary-i386/comm/xringd_1.20-1.deb
Size: 18074
MD5sum: b44b557bd1238830b8c1ba6b53a7270e
 xringd will monitor a serial line for RING signals and activate various
 commands when specific "ring-delay sequences" are detected.

I used it a while ago under bo and it worked great!  Play with it a
while before you leave it alone.  Sometimes I found that the first ring
didn't get caught or was a half ring and xringd didn't catch it
correctly.  Set xringd up with a few different patterns to catch
inconsistent rings patterns etc. Basically the possibilities are
unlimited.

--
Brian
"Never critize anybody until you have walked a mile in their shoes,