Re: newbie Q1: launching Xserver as ordinary user

>> "CE" == Chris Evans <C.Evans@sghms.ac.uk> writes:

CE> a) get xwrapper or some other safe way to be able to launch an
CE> xserver as an ordinary user
CE> or, less to my liking but ... fine ... (!)

I installed hamm on a friends box some days ago and didn't have any
restrictions about this. Anyway:

$ cat /etc/X11/Xserver
/usr/bin/X11/XF86_S3
Console

The first line in this file is the full pathname of the default X server.
The second line shows who is allowed to run the X server:
RootOnly
Console      (anyone whose controlling tty is on the console)
Anybody

CE> b) get xdm launched properly from the init

$ cat /etc/X11/config
# This file contains configuration flags for the X Window System.
# For a description of the meanings of the flags, see
# /usr/doc/X11/README.Debian

run-xconsole
obey-nologin
allow-user-resources