Re: Was the release of Debian 2.0 put on Linux Announce?

Dear all,

<snip>

> Forgetting the version numbers matter (that was showed to be somehow silly
> after George remembered LSB in his *second* posting), what I really could not
> understand and neither expect was the hostility to newbies.
>
> Oh, yes, I agree with that community staff. This is one of the major issues in
> Linux that atract me. But shouldn't we be a community open to the others?
> Shouldn't we initiate people into "light" of open software? Surely lots of
> people that don't "contribute to community" may start after a while. Maybe,
> like me, they won't be developers (some surely will), but they can share their
> knowledge with freasher newbies, they can say: hey, you have a choise, you're
> not supposed to use this or that OS, you don't have to fight againt, but you
> may fight with.

I agree entirely. As an absolute newbie it was hard to get started with
Debian; fortunatly friends at College and this list helped me get started.
Unfortunatly some of the responses I have seen on this list to
obvious/silly problems have been somewhat flamelike. We should _all_
remember that some people out there do not have the experience nor the
expertese that we do: what might seem a trivial or stupid mistake to us
might seem impossibly difficult to a newbie. Yes, in some cases a need to
RTFM should be expressed, but gently, and with the answer to the problem
as well: "You need to do this, but RTM as well to understand why".

Yours,

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo