Re: hardware purchase advice: modems

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:

[ snip ]

: > : I would like a 56k but am not sure what to get. I do NOT want to be
: > : stuck in a winmodem hell. Have the problems with 56k modems been
: > : resolved (ie is there a standard yet?). What is good to get
: > : (ie it must not need any special "windows" driver but...they ALL say
: > : "made for Windows 95" so..its hard to tell whats best)
: >
: > Well, there are three standards for 56k ... x2 (USR, 3Com), KFlex
: > (Lucent, etc.), and v.90 which is the ITU standard.
:
: hmm "3 standards" not much of a standard then :/

The v.90 standard is intended to supercede the other two.  However, as I
said, it's not yet widely available, particularly on the ISP side.  This
will change, of course.

: > I think your best bet is to contact your ISP and see which modems they
: > guarantee supporting.  Either that, or get a cable modem or DSL if it's
: > available, and leave modems behind!
:
: well..I plan on switching ISPs (current one is $10/month but "you get
: what you pay for" they are slow...and can ocasionally be "out" for an hour
: at a time. (and will NOT reply to me when I say the standard
: "public_html/index.html" they have in /etc/skel violates the
: HTML standard (no <title> tag at all!!)

Hmm ... neither does ours :)  I suppose I ought to correct that.

: as for cable modems...would LOVE one...gotta get info on cost tho...
: and eventually id like to move to a static IP and registering
: a domain...could be very expensive via cable modem
: -Steve

You're in California, aren't you?  They've got @Home out there AFAIK.

We're a cable ISP - we charge a whopping $5/month extra for a static IP
:)  If you're willing to run your own server and provide your own DNS,
etc., it's $44/month, total (but then again, this is SD)  I imagine
@Home isn't quite as accomodating, but you ought to check it out.

Some of the phone companies are really pushing DSL, so you might be able
to get a deal (if you live within 180000 feet round trip of a CO)

Cheers,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104