eth0 and ppp0 routing issues

Greetings,

Being new to Debian (as well as Linux in general), I've been suffering for
a short while and was hoping you folks might be able to assist me.

I have successfully installed the rescue, drivers, base 1-5 diskettes, and
was attempting to setup the debian box to dial my ISP and download the rest
of the system via dselect.

Unfortunately, once connected, pinging "www.yahoo.com" or any other public
address, results in the packet light on my hub to flash, which indicates
that all of the data being routed is heading out my ethernet card (eth0)
rather than the dial-up connection.  Internally, my network is the standard
172.16.x.x, and externally its whatever my ISP provides.

What would be the easiest way of ensuring that 172.16.x.x addresses get
routed through eth0, and everything else gets routed out the ppp0
connection?  I had the same issue with debian 1.3, so obviously, its
something I'm doing, or not doing.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

frederic.breitwieser@xephic.dynip.com
Frederic Breitwieser
Homebrew Automotive Mailing List
Bridgeport, Connecticut