Re: Was the release of Debian 2.0 put on Linux Announce?

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Joey Hess wrote:

> Why do you expect non-geek will know what version of LSB his system complies
> with?

Because it would be right on the Debian Website and probably on the
software box.

> LSB isn't something innately easier for non-geek to comprehend than
> the libc or kernel version. Remember that the concept of standards is just
> as foreign to non-geeks as is the concept of kernels. We already advertise
> our kernel version. If people don't know it, there is no reason to suppose
> they would know the LSB version if we advertised that.

True, but kernel version is not as important as libc version and
filesystem layout. Kernel version really means very little. It simply
provides an easy method of very basic configuration management. Not
detailed ... I would not expect there to be more than a half-dozen things
that the LSB should specify ... maybe 10 at most.

George Bonser

Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?