Re: Was the release of Debian 2.0 put on Linux Announce?

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Joey Hess wrote:

> I would be very scared if the LSB went into such a level of detail and tried
> to dictatte to much to the maintainers of a distribution. Our version number
> is our business, not the LSB's.

No, LSB would not dictate Debian's version but Debian could say that
Debian-2.0 is LSB-1.2 compliant and someone looking at Red Hat 5.2 might
see that it, too, is LSB-1.2 compliant and get the idea that both are
roughly equal. By that I mean that LSB-1.2 in this case (a hypothetical
case) means kernel > 2.0.33 and glibc-2.0 and some version of XFree86.

George Bonser

Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?