Re: PLIP Connection to Win95

On: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 21:45:58 -0600 David Karlin writes:

> I have two boxes; call them lin and win.
> 	hostname	ip address		netmask
> 	lin		192.168.0.5		255.255.255.0
> 	win		192.168.0.1		255.255.255.0
>
> I believe that win's network adapter has been properly configured;
> It can ping it's loopback and its network adapter.  After reading
> the NAG manual section on PLIP connections, I booted lin and did the
> following:
>
> 	#ifconfig
> 	(info on "lo" displayed; all looked good.)

Well, there is a interface for the plip missing.

> 	#route add default gw 192.168.0.1
> 	SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable.

I you just have the loopback interface, there is no way for your
computer to reach the 192.168.0.0 network.

I haven't used plip so far, but a command sequence like:

	ifconfig plip1 192.168.0.5 pointopoint 192.168.0.1
	route add default gw 192.168.0.1

should do it (note, you can substitute the ip addresses by their
symbolic name if you want).

I have found this information in my printed copy of NAG, you should
look at chapter 5 (Configuring TCP/IP Networking), section "The PLIP
Interface", pp 69f.

	Torsten