bad backspace

I just recently got X working moderately well on my computer.  I can't
seem to get the backspace or delete key to work though.
When i type them it only beeps and complains and doesn't let me erase anything
Does anyone have any fixes or ideas what might be wrong?  Oh, i have a Dell
ergonomic keyboard and in xf86config i selected standard U.S. keyboard.
Thakns for any help you can give.

 "If I had known this before I"                                Joel Keating
 "started, I would have been a plumber"    -Albert Einstein