Indenting columns w/ LPR

I like to make hard copies of config files to refer to and print
them out on 3-hole punched paper.  However, I find that the
printing starts at the extreme left edge of the paper and 4-5
characters worth get cut out by the holes. I've tried to use the
-i switch but it doesn't seem to want to work with my printer. I
used magicfilter to set up my HP IIIP, using the enclosed hp3p
filter. It prints wonderfully, except for the left margin being
so tight to the edge of the paper. The manpage does say that -i
may not work with all printers, so....

...any ideas?

pob