Maintaining the operating environment Questions:

Is there any way to determine the distribution source of an installed
module ?

Suppose I wanted to maintain a system through  dpkg  , where is it
reasonable to store files that are not part of the current standard
distribution; but are:
1. a properly defined .deb package,
2. a properly defined .rpm package, or
3. a primary module i.e.. xyz.tar.gz
What are the consequences with respect to 'Packages' , 'available',
'available-old', 'status', 'status-old'?
What side effects should I be on the look out for?

I am reading the programmer and policy documentation; but do not feel
comfortable with my lack of understanding of side effects.

Thank you.