Re: Dumb Terminals

In article <[🔎] 009C9F1E.4C71F0D8.9@uwwvax.uww.edu>,
<keatingjp17@uwwvax.uww.edu> wrote:

> I have some old computers that I would like to use as dumb terminals.  I
> was wondering if someone could point me to a good howto or faq on how to
> set this up or perhaps give me some tips and or help.

Among a zillion other things this is covered in the Serial-HOWTO, which
you probably have on your system as /usr/doc/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO.gz.

You need a terminal program on the computer you want to use as a
terminal. Connection by a null-modem cable.

Actual configuration on the Linux host side is trivial. You need to tell
init(8) to spawn a getty on that particular serial port. Enter an
appropriate entry in /etc/inittab. There's an example there. E.g.,
I use:

T6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -hL ttyS6 38400 vt320

-L tells getty that this is a local line, i.e. not connected to a modem,
-h tells it to use RTS/CTS flow control (not required but recommended).
Then there's the serial port, which is probably ttyS0 or ttyS1 unless
you have a multi-port card, the speed and terminal type. For the latter
two, use what your dumb terminal (or emulation thereof) supports.

After editing /etc/inittab you need to tell init(8) to re-read its
configuration file. The "telinit q" command will do this.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de
  See another pointless homepage at <URL:http://home.pages.de/~naddy/>.